November 5th, 2010 16:24 EST
Defenders of Wildlife Action Fund is Preparing for Tough New Challenges
Election 2010 is behind us, and the political landscape has seriously changed. Tuesday night, many of those defeated in Congressional races across the country were conservation champions. Today, Defenders of Wildlife Action Fund is preparing for tough new challenges.
- Saving the lives of wolves in the Northern Rockies and beyond. The election results provide new ammunition for anti-wolf extremists working in Congress to strip wolves of the life-saving protections they need. Defenders of Wildlife Action Fund " and our sister organization Defenders of Wildlife " will continue the fight for sound, science-based management to ensure a healthy future for these amazing and ecologically important animals.
- Protecting polar bears and other wildlife threatened by climate change. Last Congress, the House of Representatives passed legislation aimed at curbing carbon pollution that leads to climate change " and safeguarding wildlife impacted by this unprecedented threat. Unfortunately the Senate failed to act, and with conservation losses in the House and Senate Tuesday night, we`ll have to re-double our efforts to prevent the extinction in the wild of polar bears and other wildlife threatened by climate change.
- Safeguarding our sea turtles and the healthy coasts they need to survive. Legislation to prevent another massive oil spill off our coasts has stalled in the Senate, where it may remain deadlocked unless we fight hard in the coming weeks to promote safety and accountability to protect sea turtles, polar bears and other wildlife threatened by reckless offshore drilling.
Will you help us save wolves, polar bears, sea turtles and other imperiled wildlife? Please donate now to help provide a voice for these animals in Washington, DC.
The current Congress will return to Washington in just a few days, and we have a very narrow window to encourage passage of key conservation measures before lawmakers adjourn for the year and Congressional leadership changes in January.
With your help, we`ll fight to "
- "Strengthen offshore drilling protections to prevent another Deepwater Horizon-style oil catastrophe. That incident has already claimed the lives of threatened and endangered sea turtles, thousands of birds and other wildlife;
- Enact Great Cats and Rare Canids bill (which has passed the House and a key Senate committee) to protect the world`s lions, tigers and other big cats that could be facing extinction without help from us and others;
- Promote responsible legislation to encourage the development of cleaner, more wildlife-friendly renewable energy sources;
- And much, much more.
In short, we have a lot of work to do and not a lot of time to do it. But with your help, I know we can make a difference for the wolves, polar bears, sea turtles and other wildlife that you and I cherish.
| || |
Defenders of Wildlife Action Fund