November 17th, 2010 08:30 EST
Easy Tips to Avoiding the 3500 Calorie Thanksgiving Meal
Local fitness expert and LaFemme Mobile Gym CEO shares her knowledge on having a healthier holiday and not hating your scale the next day
Did you know that the average Thanksgiving meal averages out at 3500 calories? Are you aware that the average workout is between 250-500kcal, that means you have to do 7-9 workouts just to burn off one meal? Scary! According to fitness expert Monique Hollowell, CEO of Lafemme Mobile Gym there are seven easy tips you can follow to cut down on the calorie mass and still enjoy your holiday meal without tearing your hair out over what your scale is telling you the next morning.
1. Turkey Stuffing = Calorie No-No. Stuff the turkey with a great mix of quinoa and vegetables vs. dressing.
2. Natural = Naturally better for you. Enjoy the sweet potatoes natural flavor w/o the butter and brown sugar, add a fresh squeeze of orange or tangerine for extra flavor.
3. Lighten up your holiday beverages. Drink your holiday mochas w/o the whip cream, this will save you 80 kcals.
4. Cut down on the crust. Make a fantastic fresh fruit pie with top crust only. Leave out the bottom crust for less calories or vice versa.
5. Leave the fruit cakes and pecan pies alone! Choose a fantastic piece of pumpkin or sweet potato pie instead... its 250kcal less.
6. Kick the ice cream to the curb. Use a great holiday frozen yogurt or sorbet instead or have the fresh fruit and skip altogether.
7. Creamy = High Calorie " vegetables not exempt. Creaming your vegetables (i.e. creamed spinach) can end up contributing to 75% of your saturated fat for the day. Use low fat milk or cream cheese options as a substitute.
About Monique Hollowell
Monique Hollowell, BS, CPT, has more than 10 years industry experience. She is an author, radio show host, national presenter and CEO of Lafemme Mobile Gym, which provides virtual, in-home and business on-site personal training. Monique holds certifications with ACSM, NASM, Coopers Institute and more!
About Lafemme Mobile Gym
Fit for LaFemme, Incorporated (the Company ") was founded by Monique Hollowell, a passionate professional that develops fitness solutions for the general and special populations. Monique Hollowell was a former intercollegiate athlete at the University of Washington in Seattle. She graduated with a BS degree in Zoology and minor in Anatomy and Physiology. Monique continued on to one year of graduate study at the University of San Francisco in the Sports and Fitness Management masters program. After graduating college, Monique obtained several Certifications including, ACSM, NASM, Yoga Fit Training Systems, Master Instructor with the Pilates Coach and Bender Training Systems, in addition to Special Populations Certification from the Coopers Institute. Monique has held several multi-club management positions and progressed into Executive Management of a health club chain over seeing a multi-million dollar personal training division. Monique`s transition into motherhood and continued zeal for fitness created Fit for LaFemme, Inc., which offers Lafemme Mobile Gym and Lafemme Fitness Bootcamps! She is also a National Fitness Presenter having presented at IHRSA, IDEA, Body, Mind Spirit and Fit Fest. She has recently published Bellie Fit Basics, offered through Amazon and Barnes and Noble and is the host of TheFitnessIQ Radio Show. For more information visit: http://www.lafemmemobilegym.com/