November 13th, 2013 16:58 EST
5 Steps to Landing the Job of Your Dreams
By William Arruda
1. Know Your Goals " Get clear about the job you want.
Be specific and focused about your aspirations.
- Know the role
- Know the requirements
- Know people who hold the role
2. Know Yourself " Define your authentic personal brand.
Describe your X-factor. There are 11 qualified candidates for each open
position. `Me-too won`t work.`
- What are your greatest strengths?
- What makes you stand out (differentiation)?
- What makes you compelling (relevance)?
3. Show Yourself " Prepare your career marketing materials.
Tell your story in an authentic and compelling way so you get interviews and
land the job.
- Craft your resume, 3D brand bio, cover letter
- Be virtually visible " Google identity, LinkedIn profile and social
- Create your packaging " Establish a personal brand identity system
4. Grow Your Network " Get the right people to know you.
Be strategic in growing your brand community. 72% of jobs are filled through
a network connection. Life is who you know.
- Who is in your network? Who needs to be (decisionmakers/
- What`s your plan to expand your network?
- What`s your plan to nurture your network?
5. Launch " Execute your job search plan.
Create a focused and regular plan with actions that can be added to your
daily Do-list or calendar.
- Create your plan.
- Integrate your plan into your work style.
- Execute your plan (all you need is 9 minutes a day!).
About William Arruda
A citizen of the world with boundless energy and a genuine passion for human potential, William Arruda is a personal branding pioneer, bestselling author and motivational speaker. He is credited with turning the concept of personal branding into a global industry and his leadership in the field has inspired thousand of coaches to become personal branding strategists. His company, Reach, is personal branding`s global leader with consultants in 41 countries and 20% of the Fortune 100 as
William is one of the most sought-after speakers on career success, social media and of course, personal branding. He has delivered hundreds of lively, motivational keynotes and workshops to audiences of five to five thousand throughout the Americas, Europe, Asia and Africa. In fact, he has the distinct privilege of having delivered more personal branding keynotes than anyone on earth! His client list reads like the pages of Fortune Magazine. Adobe, BMW, British Telecom, GE, IBM, l`Oreal, JPMorgan, Microsoft, Morgan Stanley, Starwood Hotels and Target and are
just a few in a long list of corporate clients.
William has been featured on the BBC, the Discovery Channel, NPR and Fox News and in Time, and Entrepreneur. He is the author of Ditch. Dare. Do! and Career Distinction and writes a regular careers column for Forbes. He holds a Masters degree in Education. William exudes optimism and a genuine belief in the power each of us has to achieve great things. He not only sees the glass as half full, he sees the potential for it to be overflowing.