January 9th, 2019 19:50 EST
Trump Calls on Congress to Secure our Borders
Now is the time-this is the moment-to finally secure the border and create the lawful and safe immigration system Americans, and those wanting to become Americans, deserve.
THE CRISIS FACING OUR COUNTRY: We are facing a growing national security and humanitarian crisis at our Southern Border.
RESOURCES NEEDED: The Trump Administration has requested additional funds relative to the Homeland Security funding bill that passed the Senate Appropriations Committee.
- This crisis is only worsening as 2,000 inadmissible migrants arrive at our border every day and overwhelm our immigration system.
- We do not have the resources needed to hold them, and legal loopholes and activist court rulings prevent authorities from promptly returning them.
- Immigration courts are overwhelmed, with a backlog of over 800,000 cases.
- We must secure our border to protect our communities and make sure no more Americans fall victim to crimes committed by illegal aliens.
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has arrested 266,000 aliens with criminal records in the last two years.
- This includes aliens charged or convicted of 100,000 assaults, nearly 30,000 sex crimes, and 4,000 violent killings.
- Deadly drugs are flowing across our borders, taking far too many American lives.
- 300 Americans die every week from heroin, 90 percent of which comes across our Southern Border.
- We are facing a humanitarian crisis as human smugglers exploit our immigration system for profit and drive migrants to make the treacherous journey north to the border.
- 1 in 3 migrant women are sexually assaulted on the dangerous trek to the border.
- 20,000 migrant children were illegally smuggled into the country last month alone.
TIME TO ACT: President Trump is calling on Congress to fulfill their duty to the American people and finally take action to secure the border.
- The Administration has requested $5.7 billion for construction of approximately 234 miles of new steel barrier on the Southern Border, a $4.1 billion increase over the Senate bill.
- To protect our communities, the Administration requested $675 million to deter and detect narcotics, weapons, and other materials crossing our borders.
- Among the Administration`s requests for more resources are:
- $211 million to hire 750 additional Border Patrol agents
- $571 million for 2,000 additional ICE personnel
- $4.2 billion for 52,000 detention beds, personnel, transportation, and detention alternatives
- $563 million for 75 additional immigration judges and support staff
- The President is calling on Congress to stop the political games and come together and address the crisis we are facing.
- Congress has a responsibility to protect the safety and security of the American people and it needs to meet that responsibility by providing the funding needed to secure the border.
Photo Credit: wikipedia