July 25th, 2008 11:58 EST
Big Oil Swindle Could Spell Doom
Dear Judyth Piazza,
This summer, polar bear families can only watch as the sea ice they depend on melts at an alarming rate. Less ice means more starvation and fewer places to den and raise cubs.
But big oil companies -- awash in billions in profits -- are trying to swindle Americans into industrializing the few places our struggling polar bears have left with the false promise of lower prices at the pump.
Help us protect polar bears and the places they live -- and secure a clean energy future for America.
Don`t be fooled by Big Oil and its allies in Congress. They`re trying to scam the American public into believing that sacrificing wild places like the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and Alaska`s Chukchi Sea will lower gas prices.
Make no mistake: industrializing prime habitat for America`s struggling polar bears will only harm these vanishing animals and boost Big Oil`s billion-dollar bottom line.
In fact, according to the Bush Administration`s own Energy Information Administration, drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge wouldn`t be at its peak until 2030. And even then would only affect gas prices by about 2 cents per gallon.
Please donate today to help protect polar bears and other wildlife -- and defeat Big Oil`s allies in Congress.
Defenders of Wildlife Action Fund and our sister organization Defenders of Wildlife are fighting for our polar bears in Congress -- and spotlighting the consequences of a Big Oil invasion. Your donation will help us...
- Support effective legislation to increase funding of alternative energy sources, increase energy efficiency and curb excessive speculation in oil markets -- a key factor in increasing gas prices.
- Run our hard-hitting ads in influential Capitol Hill newspapers to counter Big Oil`s deceptive bid to invade and industrialize key polar bear habitat.
- Mobilize tens of thousands of supporters to place calls and write to their Members of Congress, urging real solutions to our energy needs.
- Fight for permanent protection for the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge by passing the Udall-Eisenhower Wilderness Act.
- Run effective campaigns to defeat Big Oil`s allies like Rep. Marilyn Musgrave in Colorado and Alaska`s Sen. Ted Stevens and Rep. Don Young -- lawmakers who have consistently sided against sensible energy solutions in favor of handouts to big oil companies and more destructive drilling.
Please donate now to support these and other important efforts to save polar bears and imperiled wildlife.
Big Oil is spending millions to hoodwink the American public -- but with your help, we can protect polar bears and other wildlife from the oil companies` dangerous distortions of the truth.
Defenders of Wildlife Action Fund
P.S. Your online contribution through our secure website ensures your support will be put to immediate work. You can also call 1-800-425-4632 to contribute over the phone.