January 14th, 2009 09:53 EST
Democrat Senator Calls Illegal Aliens "Freeloaders and Scam Artists"
Most liberals regard illegal aliens as Undocumented Democrats ? and a veritable gold mine of opportunity for holding on to political power by coddling to those here unlawfully and Hispanics in general.
For that reason, most Democrat politicians have abandoned patriotic concern about homeland security, the rule of law, stability of the American economy and social order, and preservation of American language and culture.
In fact, one can search high and low for a liberal with a patriotic, pro-America stance on illegal immigration, and that search will usually be futile.
But there is a notable exception: A U.S. Senator who has shown remarkable wisdom, foresight, and clarity, especially for a Democrat.
His office released the following statements (in bold) concerning illegal immigration:
In response to increased terrorism and abuse of social programs by aliens, (I) today introduced the first and only comprehensive immigration reform bill in Congress. Currently, an alien living illegally in the United States often pays no taxes but receives unemployment, welfare, free medical care, and other federal benefits. Recent terrorist acts, including the World Trade Center bombing, have underscored the need to keep violent criminals out of the country. ?
The senator`s bill, titled the Immigration Stabilization Act, ? overhauls the nation`s immigration laws, and calls for a massive scale-down of immigrants allowed into the country. The bill also changes asylum laws to prevent phonyasylum seekers.
The senator said the U.S. open door policy is being abused at the expense of honest, working citizens.
The senator continued:
"We are a country founded upon fairness and justice. An individual in real threat of torture or long-term incarceration because of his or her political beliefs can still seek asylum. But this bill closes the door to those who want to abuse America`s inherent generosity and legal system. ?
"Our borders have overflowed with illegal immigrants placing tremendous burdens on our criminal justice system, schools and social programs. The Immigration and Naturalization Service needs the ability to step up enforcement. Our federal wallet is stretched to the limit by illegal aliens getting welfare,food stamps, medical care, and other benefits often without paying any taxes. ?
Safeguards like welfare and free medical care are in place to boost Americans in need of short-term assistance. These programs were not meant to entice freeloaders and scam artists from around the world. Even worse, Americans have seen heinous crimes committed by individuals who are here illegally. ?
Specific provisions proposed by the senator in the Immigration Stabilization Act include:
* Reduces annual legal immigration levels. Relatives other than spouse or minor children admitted only if already on immigration waiting lists and their admission does not raise annual immigration levels above approved level.
* Reforms asylum rules to prevent aliens from entering the United States illegally under phony "asylum" claims.
* Expands list of felonies considered "aggravated" felonies requiring exclusion and deportation of criminal aliens. Allows courts to order deportation at time of sentencing.
* Increases penalties for failing to depart or re-entering the United States after a final order of deportation order. Increases maximum penalties forvisa fraud from five years to 10 years.
* Curtails alien smuggling by authorizing interdiction and repatriation of aliens seeking to enter the United States unlawfully by sea. Increases penalties for alien smuggling.
* Adds "alien smuggling" to the list of crimes subject to sanctions under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act.
* Expands the categories of property that are forfeited when used to facilitate the smuggling or harboring of illegal aliens.
* Clarifies that a person born in the United States to an alien mother who is not a lawful resident is not a U.S. citizen. This will eliminate incentive for pregnant alien women to enter the United States illegally, often at risk to mother and child, for the purpose of acquiring citizenship for the child and accompanying federal financial benefits.
* Mandates that aliens who cannot demonstrably support themselves without public or private assistance are excludable. This will prevent admission of aliens likely to be dependent on public financial support. This requirement extends to the sponsor of any family sponsored immigrant.
* Increases border security and patrol officer positions."
What sort of a Democrat would take such a politically incorrect--but morally and legally correct--stance?
Perhaps the Democrat with a brain is Zell Miller from the great state of Georgia? Or could it be a reincarnation of Alabama`s late conservative firebrand,George Wallace?
The answer: None of the above!
In fact, Senator Harry Reid (D-Nev.) introduced the Immigration Stabilization Act in theUnited States Senate in 1993. The statements quoted above are from a press release issued by Reid`s office on August 5, 1993.
How is it that Harry Reid was exactly right more than 16 years ago, but is so completely wrong now? Why does Reid oppose programs he once sponsored now that the problem is seven times greater after 9/11?
In the spring of 2006, while the U.S. Senate was debating legislation to make English the official U.S. language, Reid even saw fit to drag out the R word to slander those who supported the English bill.
And, of course, Reid has voted for Mexico and against America every time the U.S. Senate has considered amnesty.
Harry Reid: Against illegal immigration, before he was for it!