September 24th, 2008 20:22 EST
What do you get when Chili meets Bacon?
Well by now, you know I am a fan of bacon and that I always consider how can I add bacon to dishes that I already like? I will be honest and admit that they usually turn out better then I had hoped or expected. This past weekend I decided to cook chili, well bacon chili that is and it turned out great. Here is how I did it:
Here is what you need to serve 6, the video below was for 80 people, that shows you how confident that I am that bacon will make any dish taste better.
- slices of Bacon Freak (Bourbon Street Cajun Bacon) chopped into small bits
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) of crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) pinto beans, drained
- 1 can (8 oz.) of black beans
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- At least 2 tablespoons of chili powder (season to taste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of paprika
- 3/4 teaspoons of cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 ounces of olive oil
- Sour cream, green onions and cheddar cheese for topping
Preparation for bacon good Bacon Chili
1. In a large pan over medium-high heat, cook the cajun bacon, until it just begins to brown, about 4 minutes. Remove bacon and dice. Add olive oil followed by the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, 4 to 7 minutes.
2. Increase heat to medium and add ground beef and break it up and stir until it loses its red color. Now add in all the spices and garlic. Add the chopped bacon followed by the tomatoes and sauce. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover partially.
3. Add beans and cook for about 30 to 40 minutes, stirring to ensure the sauce doesn`t burn. Add additional salt and chili powder to taste.
4. Serve warm, with toppings on the side.
Signing off at Pigging out!
Rocco "Boss Hog" Loosbrock
Use coupon code (sop) to get a 10% discount at www.baconfreak.com
Rocco owns and runs a Bacon of the Month Club called The Bacon Freak Bacon is Meat Candy Bacon Club as well as a Wine Club called the Coastal Vineyard Wine Club