November 20th, 2008 12:17 EST
Secret to Drinking Bacon, add Vodka
The effort to find the perfect bacon appetizer continues. Restaurants and chefs from all over the country continue to submit their very best dishes and are revealing their preparation secrets to Joe the plumbers like me and you. One of our Bacon Freak Bacon Club customers made the following fact painfully obvious when he called us this week to tell us that the perfect meal containing bacon doesn`t start at the appetizer it starts at the drink. Sounds logical? After all we have been sending you info on drinks such as Mitch Morgan`s and bacon, etc.
We want to thank our customer who shared with us this Bacon Vodka recipe he found at www.browniepointsblog.com. Here is the secret:
Makes up one pint
- Fry up three strips of bacon.
- Add cooked bacon to a clean pint sized mason jar. Trim the ends of the bacon if they are too tall to fit in the jar. Or you could go hog wild and just pile in a bunch of fried up bacon scraps.
- Optional: add crushed black peppercorns.
- Fill the jar up with vodka. Cap and place in a dark cupboard for at least three weeks. That`s right- I didn`t refrigerate it.
- At the end of the three week resting period, place the bacon vodka in the freezer to solidify the fats. Strain out the fats through a coffee filter to yield a clear filtered pale yellow bacon vodka.
Decant into decorative bottles and enjoy.
Signing off at Pigging out!
Rocco "Boss Hog" Loosbrock
Use coupon code (sop) to get a 10% discount at www.baconfreak.com
Rocco owns and runs a Bacon of the Month Club called The Bacon Freak Bacon is Meat Candy Bacon Club as well as a Wine Club called the Coastal Vineyard Wine Club