May 22nd, 2009 09:11 EST
Boss Hog Country Sausage served for breakfast
There is nothing better for breakfast than the smokey taste of sausage in a breakfast burrito! I want to thank our friends at the National HOT DOG & SAUSAGE Council at www.hot-dog.org who provided us with this very yummy breakfast treat! To bring home the smokey flavor that you love try using our newest breakfast sausage called Boss Hog Country Sausage . This is an excellent sausage in which Bacon Freak has blended ham with hickory smoked sausage to create a unique meaty flavor.
Baked Sausage and Creamy White Cheddar Grits
Yield: 9-12 breakfast servings
Nonstick cooking spray
1 pound breakfast or bulk sausage, spicy flavor preferred
1 large red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed and chopped
2-1/2 cups cold water
1 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup quick-cooking grits
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon dried thyme
6 ounces white sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded, DIVIDED
2 large eggs, well beaten
Peach mango fruit salsa
1. Preheat oven to 350ÂºF. Spray a 7x11-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large heavy nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat, breaking up sausage into small pieces. Cook until no longer pink. Drain on clean paper towels.
3. Drain all but 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of pan drippings. Add red peppers to skillet and cook until soft.
4. In a separate heavy saucepan, bring water, milk and salt to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Immediately reduce heat and cook, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened, about 7 minutes.
5. Add mustard, thyme and 1 cup cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Cool slightly and fold in sausage and red pepper. Stir in beaten eggs.
6. Pour into baking dish. Sprinkle top with remaining cheese.
7. Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until light golden brown. Grits should be firm and set in the center.
8. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
9. Serve with peach mango fruit salsa.
Signing off at Pigging out!
Rocco "Boss Hog" Loosbrock
(SOP readers use coupon code SOP to get 10% off your next SAUSAGE order)
Rocco owns and runs a Bacon of the Month Club called The Bacon Freak Bacon is Meat Candy Bacon Club as well as a Wine Club called the Coastal Vineyard Wine Club