Contact theSOPAbout theSOPSupport theSOPWritersEditorsManaging Editors
theSOP logo
Published:July 5th, 2007 07:13 EST
Kiyan Prince murder conviction in The U.K.

Kiyan Prince murder conviction in The U.K.

By SOP newswire

On 18 May 2006 police were called to reports of a youth suffering stab wounds outside Stamford Court, Edgware.  A Safer Neighbourhoods team sergeant was attending a meeting at the nearby London Academy School at the time, and was alerted by teachers to the incident.  The officer administered first aid at the scene and the youth was taken to the Royal London Hospital, where he was pronounced dead - He was 15-year old Kiyan Prince, a pupil at the London Academy who lived with his mother and 18 year-old sister in Edgware.

A post mortem gave the cause of death as a single stab wound to the chest.

It was understood that a friend of Kiyan's had what was described as a 'play fight' with the Hasan.  When this became a little fraught Kiyan stepped in to break it up and words were exchanged.  After pushing each other, Hasan got Kiyan into a headlock and stabbed him several times, one of which was the fatal blow to the chest.  Kiyan collapsed and Hasan ran off towards Salisbury Court.

The incident was witnessed by a number of people, enabling police to quickly identify Hasan and begin enquiries to track him down.  Shortly before midnight on Friday 19 May 2006 he was arrested at an address in north London.  Following the arrest detectives recovered the silver Swiss army knife used by Hasan, this provided detectives with vital forensic evidence.
DCI Alistair Tully from the Homicide and Serious Crime Command said:

"Kiyan Prince was a young man with everything to live for. He was a talented footballer and all round athlete. His life was cut short by another young man who was all too willing to arm himself with a knife in a show of bravado.

"Let this be a clear message to other young people of the tragic consequences of carrying knives, however small, which is all to prevalent in London today."I would like to thank all the young witnesses that had the courage to come forward to police and give evidence at court. We value their contribution in securing today's result."

Hasan has been remanded for sentencing on 27 July.