September 10th, 2007 13:12 EST
Same Old Song: Turning Point in Iraq
September 10, 2007
Innumerable challenges lie ahead; however, Coalition and Iraqi Security Forces have made progress toward achieving sustainable security. "
- General David Petraeus, congressional testimony
May 22, 2006
"This Saturday in Baghdad, the new Prime Minister of Iraq announced a national unity government "There have been setbacks and missteps "Yet we have now reached a turning point in the struggle between freedom and terror."
- George W. Bush, addressing National Restaurant Association
April 18, 2006
We can expect further acts of violence and destruction by the enemies of freedom. But progress has been steady. "
- Dick Cheney, addressing troops at Fort Riley, Kansas
December 12, 2005
Thanks to the courage of the Iraqi people, the year 2005 will be recorded as a turning point in the history of Iraq, the history of the Middle East, and the history of freedom. "
- George W. Bush, addressing the World Affairs Council of Philadelphia
October 5, 2005
The bottom line up front that I`d like to leave with you today is that there has been enormous progress with the Iraqi security forces. "
- General David Petraeus, DoD news briefing
February 2, 2005
On January 30th in Iraq, the world witnessed an important moment in the global struggle against tyranny, a moment that historians might one day call a major turning point."
- Donald Rumsfeld, Message on the Iraqi Elections "
September 26, 2004
Now, however, 18 months after entering Iraq, I see tangible progress. Iraqi security elements are being rebuilt from the ground up. "
- General David Petraeus, Battling for Iraq, " Washington Post op-ed
January 20, 2004
Men who ran away from our troops in battle are now dispersed and attack from the shadows. These killers, joined by foreign terrorists, are a serious, continuing danger. Yet we are making progress against them. "
- George W. Bush, State of the Union Address
June 18, 2003
In those regions where pockets of dead-enders are trying to reconstitute, General Franks and his team are rooting them out. In short, the coalition is making good progress. "
- Donald Rumsfeld, DoD press conference http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,89795,00.html
Why Does This Seem So Familiar?
November 17, 1967
There are a good many days when we get a C-minus instead of an A-plus. But overall, we are making progress. We are satisfied with that progress."
- Lyndon Johnson, press conference
Council for a Livable World
322 Fourth Street NE * Washington, D.C. 20002