July 3rd, 2009 10:58 EST
Gift Quran for President Obama
Will You Sponsor a Gift Quran for President Obama?
One Quran sponsored at ISNA convention will be sent to the president
As-salaamu alaykum. CAIR is asking those who attend this weekend`s national convention of the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) in Washington, D.C., to visit booths 710 and 808-809 in the bazaar to sponsor a Quran through the Share the Quran " campaign, which is designed to enhance understanding of Islam and to reduce Islamophobia.
SEE: Share the Quran
One of the people who sponsors a Quran at ISNA for American opinion leaders and policymakers will be selected to send a gift Quran in their name to President Obama. The selection will be made July 5 at CAIR`s booth in the ISNA bazaar. [All those who sponsor a Quran, whether at ISNA or online, receive a free CAIR membership.]
The Share the Quran " initiative aims to distribute free copies of the Quran to 100,000 local, state and national leaders by the end of the year. It was prompted by President Obama`s recent address to the Muslim world in which he quoted from the holy text and by data showing that anti-Muslim prejudice decreases as understanding of Islam increases. [According to CAIR public opinion surveys, only two percent of Americans say they are very knowledgeable " about Islam.]
CAIR is asking Muslims to sponsor the distribution of copies of the Qurans to governors, state attorney generals, educators, law enforcement officials, state and national legislators, local elected and public officials, media professionals, and other local or national leaders who shape public opinion or determine policy.
SEE: A Thank You, and a Koran, for Obama (New York Times)
The Qurans sponsored by Muslims and delivered to American leaders will include a bookmark guide to the verses cited by the president and to references related to topics such as women`s rights, social justice, respect for other faiths, and similar issues related to international events.
REMINDER: CAIR will host an open house at its Capitol Hill headquarters for those attending the ISNA convention.
WHAT: CAIR Open House for ISNA Convention Attendees
WHEN: Sunday, July 5, 1:30-2:30 p.m.
WHERE: CAIR`s Capitol Hill Headquarters, 453 New Jersey Avenue S.E., Washington, D.C. (CAIR`s headquarters is located at the intersection of New Jersey Avenue S.E. and E Street S.E. The nearest Metro stop is Capitol South.)
CONTACT: RSVP (required) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The open house will feature light refreshments and tours of CAIR`s headquarters. (Space for Dhuhr prayer is available for open house attendees.)
Immediate action requested to make this effort succeed:
1. Come to CAIR`s booth at ISNA and sponsor one or more Qurans to be sent to American opinion leaders and policymakers. Visit booths 710 and 808-809 in the bazaar.
2. Sponsor one or more Qurans by going to the Share the Quran " campaign web site (http://www.explorethequran.com/) and encourage others to do the same. Sponsorships and donations to CAIR are tax deductible and zakat eligible.
3. Organize an event in your mosque during which you will share a Quran with elected officials, law enforcement authorities and other community leaders. CONTACT: email@example.com
4. Share information about the Share the Quran " initiative with friends, relatives and colleagues through e-mail lists, Twitter, Facebook, etc.
5. Encourage opinion leaders and policymakers you know to request a free Quran at: http://www.explorethequran.com
7. Donate to the Share the Quran " campaign by clicking here. To donate offline or to inquire about the project, click here.