January 18th, 2008 12:57 EST
NASA Astronauts and Deputy Administrator Share Seattle Stage
SEATTLE - On Friday, Jan. 25, NASA Deputy Administrator Shana Dale will deliver a keynote address at 8:45 a.m. PST, at the Museum of Flight in Seattle. The event focuses on how space exploration benefits the state of Washington's economy and kicks off a yearlong Future Forum series celebrating NASA's 50th anniversary. The series will hold events in cities across the country.
Other NASA speakers include Janet Kavandi, an astronaut who earned her doctorate at the University of Washington, and Jeff Hanley, director of NASA's Constellation Program. They will discuss NASA's development of the vehicles that will travel to the moon, Mars and beyond. Washington Lt. Gov. Brad Owen will be the luncheon's keynote speaker. The future forum coincides with a NASA exhibition at the museum featuring a rare Mars meteorite. Dale, Kavandi, Hanley and astronaut Bonnie Dunbar, the president of the Museum of Flight, will participate in a media question and answer session following the morning event. One-on-one interviews also may be scheduled in advance.
Reporters who would like to attend should contact Tabatha Thompson at email@example.com, 202-358-3895, or Tara Cashman at firstname.lastname@example.org, 206-768-7128, by Jan. 24.
Media also may contact Autumn Monahan with the WSA, Washington's technology association, at 206-505-8350.
Event schedule for the NASA Seattle Future Forum: - 8:30 a.m - Welcome by host, Bonnie Dunbar, president, Museum of Flight
- 8:45 a.m. - Remarks by NASA Deputy Administrator Shana Dale
- 9:15 a.m. - Astronaut presentation, astronaut Janet Kavandi
- 9:30 a.m. - Overview of the NASA Exploration Program, Jeff Hanley, director, NASA Constellation Program
- 9:55 a.m. - Media question and answer with presenters
- 10 a.m. - Innovation Panel: "Unleashing the power of technology and creativity"
- 11:10 a.m. - Discovery Panel: "Pushing the limits of knowledge to inspire new generations"
- 12:15 p.m. - Luncheon with address from Lt. Gov. Brad Owen
- 1:30 p.m. - Inspiration Panel: "Building idea factories for the future"
For complete biographical information about Dale, visit: http://www.nasa.gov/about/highlights/dale_bio.html
For more information about the Museum of Flight, visit: www.museumofflight.org
For more information about NASA and agency programs, visit: http://www.nasa.gov