March 13th, 2008 07:13 EST
Are you prepared for the Pope?
Between April 15 and April 20, Americans will get their first visit from one of the world's most prominent leaders. While Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger visited the United States five times previously, the now Pope Benedict XVI makes this maiden journey at an interesting time in U.S. history. Americans are in the midst of a controversial and heated presidential campaign in which many of the key issues important to U.S. Catholic and other values voters are in play. It is expected that Benedict will address topics of personal morality, social justice, and the Church's relationship with other religions when he visits the heart of U.S. political activity in the nation's capital and addresses the General Assembly of the United Nations in New York City.
Roman Catholics are the largest single Christian denomination in the United States with slightly more than 65 million members. The Catholic Church in the United States is one of the most respected and influential voices in the country and in the world.
While he is in the United States, Pope Benedict will celebrate his 81st birthday on April 16 and his 3rd anniversary as Pope on April 19.
The Maximus Group, the leading Catholic communications agency in the United States, has assembled a variety of spokespersons to speak on aspects of Pope Benedict XVI's life, theology and pontificate. Here is a sampling of commentators available:
Greg Erlandson, President and Publisher for Our Sunday Visitor, one of the nation's oldest and largest Catholic publishers - OSV newspaper has been covering US Catholic issues for nearly 100 years.
- John Norton, former Rome bureau correspondent for Catholic News Service and international news anchor for Vatican Radio, currently Editor for OSV's weekly
- Dr. Matthew Bunson, Advisor to the current Causes of Canonization for two Saints, Author of We Have a Pope! - first biography on Pope Benedict XVI, USA Today special consultant
- Amy Welborn, Popular author and blogger (authored response to Da Vinci Code)
- Michael Dubruiel, editor of Questions and Answers: Pope Benedict XVI, author of a series of books on Catholic topics
- Brennan Pursell, Professor at DeSales University, Author of Benedict of Bavaria (New release - March 25, 2008)
- Fr. David Toups, Associate Director of the Secretariat for Clergy at the USCCB, Author, Reclaiming Your Priestly Character (Released January 2008)
- Mark Shea, Senior Editor for CatholicExchange.com, popular blogger
- Christopher Kaczor, Ph.D., Former Fulbright Scholar, Author and Director of Catholic University of America Honors Program in Philosophy, Has met with Pope Benedict
- John Henry Crosby, Founder and director of the Dietrich von Hildebrand Legacy Project, Met with Pope Benedict about the Project
- Joanna Bogle, Author, based in Great Britain, working on biography of Pope called "The Benedict Code"
- Thomas Peters, Young, Popular Blogger on the Pope
- Christopher West, Research Fellow at Theology of the Body Institute, Cultural Commentator on sexuality and personal morality
- Dr. Pia de Solenni, expert on Women's Issues, Moral Theologian and Cultural Commentator
- Michael Voris, Popular host of The One, True Faith covering all Catholic issues and topics
Full biographies of these commentators and their topics are available.
The Maximus Group, LLC The Maximus Group, a Catholic communications agency, first offered this unprecedented service to the media in 2005 at the time of the passing of Pope John Paul II, during the days of the interregnum and the papal conclave, and concluding with the election of Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger and his installation as Pope Benedict XVI. At that time 95 percent of the media outlets Maximus contacted worked with at least one expert commentator for regular appearances on their news programs and commentary in their publications, making Maximus the "one-stop shop" for media during this period. In fact, time and again media outlets return to Maximus for this service and have commented that when faced with a need for commentary from a Catholic perspective, "all roads lead to Maximus."
Maximus' mission includes providing the news media with reliable, informed, unbiased sources who can participate in intelligent discussions on topics that include a relevant and sometimes entertaining perspective from the Catholic space.
For interview requests or additional information, please contact Ashley Walker at 678-990-9032 or visit www.maximusnewspub.com.