August 27th, 2009 18:55 EST
CAIR`s 100,000 Qurans Campaign
Voice of America, an international broadcasting service with a worldwide audience of some 134 million people, recently aired a segment featuring CAIR`s educational Share the Quran " initiative.
CAIR`s Share the Quran campaign is designed to distribute free copies of the Quran to 100,000 local, state and national leaders by the end of the year. (Quran sponsorships and donations to CAIR are tax deductible and zakat eligible.)
VOA Video: CAIR Hopes to Educate Americans About Islam
Share the Quran Campaign Update:
- Almost 5,000 Copies of the Quran Have Already Been Sponsored
- The Islamic Society of Tulsa Sponsored 300 Copies of the Quran
- The Islamic Center of Milwaukee Sponsored 600 Copies of the Quran
- Al-Farouq Mosque in Houston Sponsored 300 Copies of the Quran
We thank all those who have already sponsored copies of the Quran to help educate our nation`s leaders about Islam, and urge everyone to do their part in Ramadan, the month of the Quran, " said CAIR National Executive Director Nihad Awad. Ramadan is a month of generosity in which the blessings of giving are multiplied. "
Ibn `Abbas said: "The Prophet was the most generous of people, but he would be his most generous during Ramadan. " (Sahih Al-Bukhari)
Awad said the initiative was prompted by President Obama`s recent address to the Muslim world in which he quoted from the holy text and by data showing that anti-Muslim prejudice decreases as understanding of Islam increases. [According to CAIR public opinion surveys, only two percent of Americans say they are very knowledgeable " about Islam.]
CAIR is asking Muslims to sponsor the distribution of copies of the Quran to governors, state attorney generals, educators, law enforcement officials, state and national legislators, local elected and public officials, media professionals, and other local or national leaders who shape public opinion or determine policy.
The high-quality copies of the Quran sponsored by Muslims and delivered to American leaders will include a bookmark guide to the verses cited by the president and to references related to topics such as women`s rights, social justice, respect for other faiths, and similar issues related to international events.
CAIR is urging families, mosques and Islamic centers nationwide to order enough copies of the Quran to distribute to local public officials, opinion leaders and policymakers.
IMMEDIATE ACTIONS REQUESTED:
1. FAMILIES, MOSQUES AND ISLAMIC CENTERS should order hundreds of copies of the Quran to give to local public officials, opinion leaders and policymakers. E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org to place an order. (Bulk orders may be shipped within a few days.)
2. INDIVIDUALS should sponsor one or more copies of the Quran by going to the Share the Quran campaign web site.
Encourage others to do the same. Sponsorships and donations to CAIR are tax deductible and zakat eligible.
3. ORGANIZE a Share the Quran " event in Ramadan during which you will share a Quran with elected officials, law enforcement authorities and other community leaders. CONTACT: email@example.com
4. SHARE INFORMATION about the Share the Quran initiative with friends, relatives and colleagues through e-mail lists, Twitter, Facebook, etc.
5. ENCOURAGE opinion leaders and policymakers you know to request a free Quran at: http://www.explorethequran.com
6. DONATE to the Share the Quran campaign here.