October 20th, 2009 09:57 EST
The Fifteen Secret Torments of Jesus
We know of the Passion and Death of Jesus, from the Gospels. In parts the narration is vivid - the cross-examination by Pilate and the High Priests. But the torture is not described in detail. On the night He was held captive, He was inhumanly persecuted.
Sister Mary Magdalen ardently desired to know of His secret sufferings. Jesus answered her prayer and revealed to her the fifteen secret torments which dehumanized Him.
(This devotion is approved and recommended by Pope Clement II 1730-1740.)
There was a deep sadness in His voice when Jesus told Sister Mary: "I looked for one that would comfort me, and I found none". Then He went on to list the sadistic, cruelly designed ways in which His tormentors maltreated Him. "They considered Me as the most wretched man living on earth. That is why:
01) They fastened my feet with a rope and dragged Me over the stepping stones of the staircase, down into a filthy, nauseating cellar.
02) They took off my clothes and stung my body with iron joints.
03) They attached a rope around my body and pulled Me on the ground, from end to end.
04) They hanged Me on a wooden piece with a slipknot until I slipped out and fell down. Overwhelmed by this torture, I wept bloody tears.
05) They tied Me to a post and pierced my body with various arms.
06) They struck Me with stones and burnt Me with blazing embers and torches.
07) They pierced Me with awls: sharp spears tore my skin, flesh and arteries out of my body.
08) They tied Me to a post and made Me stand, barefoot, on an incandescent metal sheet.
09) They crowned me with an Iron Crown and wrapped my eyes with the dirtiest possible rags.
10) They made Me sit on a chair covered with sharp pointed nails, causing deep wounds in my body.
11) They poured on my wounds liquid lead and resin and, after this torture they pressed Me on the chair with nails, so that the nails went deeper and deeper into my flesh.
12) For shame and affliction, they drove needles into the holes of my uprooted beard. Then they tied my hands behind my back and led Me walking out of prison with strikes and blows.
13) They threw Me upon the cross and attached Me so tightly that I could hardly breathe anymore.
14) They threw an object at my head as I lay on the earth, and they stepped on Me, hurting my breast. Then taking a thorn from my crown they drove it into my tongue.
15) They poured into my mouth the most immodest excretions, as they uttered the most infamous expressions about Me."
Then Jesus added: "My daughter, I desire that you let everyone know of these FIFTEEN SECRET TORMENTS, in order that everyone of them be honoured. Anyone who daily offers Me, with love, one of these sufferings and says with fervour the following prayer will be rewarded with eternal glory on the Day of Judgment."
My Lord and My God, it is my unchangeable will to honor You in these fifteen secret torments, when You shed Your Precious Blood.
As many millions of stars there are in the sky, as Angels in Heaven, as creatures on earth, so many million times may You be glorified, praised and honored, O Most love-worthy Lord Jesus Christ. Your Holiest Heart, Your Precious Blood, Your Divine Sacrifice for mankind, and the Holiest Sacrament of the Altar be praised. May the Most Holy Virgin Mary, the nine glorious choirs of Angels, the Blessed assembly of Saints, I and everyone, glorify and praise You, now and forever.
I desire, My Dear Jesus, to give You thanksgiving, to serve you, to repair and atone for all ignominies and to offer to You my soul and body as Your possessions forever. I regret all my sins and beg Your pardon, O my Lord and my God. Mighty Father, I offer You all the merits of Your Beloved Son, Jesus Christ, to repair all wrongs done, to obtain for us a happy death and the deliverance of all the souls in Purgatory.
Fortify my resolution, O Lovable Jesus, to renew this prayer every day of my life. Amen.