Contact theSOPAbout theSOPSupport theSOPWritersEditorsManaging Editors
theSOP logo
Published:May 17th, 2007 05:18 EST
FEMA Awards Hazard Mitigation Grant To Michigan's Barry County

FEMA Awards Hazard Mitigation Grant To Michigan's Barry County

By SOP newswire

CHICAGO, Ill. -- The U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) today RELEASED $230,325 in Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funds to Barry County, Michigan for the elevation of 12 residential homes located along Jordan Lake in Woodland Township.

"This kind of project is the cornerstone of disaster prevention efforts and illustrates the importance of local, state and federal governments working together for the benefit of citizens," said Edward G. Buikema, regional administrator, FEMA Region V.

The properties, which will be elevated at least one foot above the 100-year base flood elevation, experience repetitive flooding due to fluctuating lake levels of Jordan Lake. Once elevation of these homes occurs, damage from flooding is expected to be minimal. This project will protect the health, safety and welfare of Barry County residents. Additionally, it will reduce future flood insurance claims and the financial obligation of federal, state and local governments after a disaster.

HMGP provides grants to State and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures. The purpose of the program is to reduce the loss of life and property, lessen the impact to local communities due to natural disasters, and enable recovery after a disaster. Through HMGP, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the project costs and Barry County will contribute the remaining 25 percent. The Michigan State Police administers the mitigation program.

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terrorism.

Source:FEMA