September 4th, 2009 17:36 EST
Anti-Islam E-Mail Circulated By TN Mayor
CAIR today announced that it will send a copy of the Quran to a Tennessee mayor who circulated an anti-Islam e-mail to public officials.
Clarksville, Tenn., Mayor John Piper forwarded an e-mail urging patriotic Americans " to protest a U.S. Postal Service Eid " stamp marking Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha. (The Eid stamp was first issued in 2001 and was re-issued several times as prices increased. The 44-cent version was issued yesterday.)
Mayor Piper sent the e-mail to every city council member and to many city employees, friends, and family members. The e-mail falsely claims the stamp is new and that its creation was ordered by President Obama. It also states: REMEMBER to adamantly & vocally BOYCOTT this stamp, when you are purchasing your stamps at the post office. " Copies of the Quran will also be sent to members of the city council.
SEE: Piper Defends Anti-Islamic E-Mail to Clarksville Officials, Council
To order Eid stamps, go here.
CAIR is sending the Qurans to Piper and the city council as part of its Share the Quran " initiative, which is designed to distribute free copies of the Quran to 100,000 local, state and national leaders by the end of the year.
SEE: Share the Quran
VIDEO: CAIR Hopes to Educate Americans About Islam
Mayor Piper obviously has misconceptions about Islam that are best addressed through dialogue and education, " said CAIR National Communications Director Ibrahim Hooper. We hope the mayor and the city council will accept the copies of the Quran in the spirit in which they are given and will agree to meet with representatives of the local Muslim community. "
Hooper said CAIR`s Share the Quran campaign was prompted by President Obama`s recent address to the Muslim world in which he quoted from the holy text and by data showing that anti-Muslim prejudice decreases as understanding of Islam increases.
CAIR is asking Muslims to sponsor the distribution of copies of the Quran to governors, state attorney generals, educators, law enforcement officials, state and national legislators, local elected and public officials, media professionals, and other local or national leaders who shape public opinion or determine policy.
The high-quality copies of the Quran sponsored by Muslims and delivered to American leaders include a bookmark guide to the verses cited by the president and to references related to topics such as women`s rights, social justice, respect for other faiths, and similar issues related to international events.
IMMEDIATE ACTIONS REQUESTED:
1. CONTACT MAYOR PIPER to express your concerns about the negative impact anti-Islam stereotypes can have on ordinary American Muslims.
Be respectful and polite. Hostile comments can and will be used to harm the image of the Muslim community.
Mayor John E. Piper
One Public Square 4th floor
Clarksville, TN 37040
Office (931) 645-7444
Fax (931) 552-74799
E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org COPY TO: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
You may send similarly polite messages to members of the city council at here.
2. FAMILIES, MOSQUES AND ISLAMIC CENTERS should order hundreds of copies of the Quran to give to local public officials, opinion leaders and policymakers. E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org to place an order. (Bulk orders may be shipped within a few days.)
3. INDIVIDUALS should sponsor one or more copies of the Quran by going to the Share the Quran campaign web site: http://www.explorethequran.com
Encourage others to do the same. Sponsorships and donations to CAIR are tax deductible and zakat eligible.
4. ORGANIZE a Share the Quran " event in Ramadan during which you will share a Quran with elected officials, law enforcement authorities and other community leaders. CONTACT: email@example.com
5. SHARE INFORMATION about the Share the Quran initiative with friends, relatives and colleagues through e-mail lists, Twitter, Facebook, etc.
6. ENCOURAGE opinion leaders and policymakers you know to request a free Quran at: http://www.explorethequran.com
7. DONATE to the Share the Quran campaign here.
8. ORDER EID STAMPS and use them on all your mailings. Ask for them at you local post office.
To order Eid stamps, go here.
(The latest online version is the 42-cent stamp. You will need an additional 2-cent stamps to mail a standard letter.)