September 23rd, 2009 10:52 EST
Forbes Magazine named West Palm Beach the 13th Most Dangerous City in America
October is National Crime Prevention Month. Invaluable tips on how they can prevent being the victim of a robbery "or worse.
Among her tips:
- Do some yard work. Trim hedges and bushes so thieves can`t hide out.
- Know your neighbors. Neighbors who look out for each other are among the best, and least expensive, defenses against neighborhood crime.
- Educate yourself on what makes a good lock " and use them. Even the best locks can`t protect you if you don`t use them. Do you know what a bump key is and if your lock is protected against it?
Guard your garage. If you park your car outside of your garage, never leave the garage door opener in the car.
October is National Crime Prevention Month, when it`s especially important to educate yourself on ways to best keep your home safe. While home burglaries have declined in recent years, people will likely still be surprised at how easily one can gain access to their home.
SOME SHOCKING HOME BURGLARY STATISTICS:
- About 6 out of every 10 burglaries take place through unlocked doors or windows
- Renters are far more likely than owners to be burglary victims " at a rate 85% higher
- 47% of homeowners didn`t change or re-key their locks when moving into their home.