Contact theSOPAbout theSOPSupport theSOPWritersEditorsManaging Editors
theSOP logo
Published:May 11th, 2009 10:22 EST

Christian School Bans Dancing, Rock Music And Hand Holding

By Robert Paul Reyes

 

"An Ohio teenager says he expects to be suspended from a Christian school for attending a public school prom with his girlfriend.

Officials at Heritage Christian School in Findlay had warned 17-year-old Tyler Frost that he would be suspended and prohibited from attending graduation if he went to the Saturday dance. The fundamentalist Baptist school in northwest Ohio forbids dancing, rock music and hand holding.

Frost says he went to the dance because he wanted to experience the prom and didn`t think it was wrong." The Associated Press


The Heritage Christian School is a prison in which the students can only experience what it means to be a normal teen when they are away from its confining walls.

The fundamentalist institution bans rock music, dancing and hand holding, in other words it forbids the very activities that define a teenager`s social life. Kids spend 90% of their time dancing, listening to rap and rock music and making out, and the other 10% avoiding homework.

Tyler shouldn`t be disciplined by the Christian school for what he does in his free time. I don`t think Tyler is going to turn into an anarchist because he accompanied his girlfriend to her school prom.

I`m glad Tyler had the chance to experience one night as a normal teenager, and I hope that when he graduates from the Christian school he will attend a non-religious university where he will be free to expand his intellectual horizons.



Comment on this story, by emailing Judyth Piazza at comment@thesop.org  or join the SOP friend network with your Google, Yahoo, AOL, MSN or one ID account located on the front page of http://www.thesop.org
Subscribe to theSOP's Religion feed.Subscribe to theSOP's Religion audio podcast.
Subscribe to Robert Paul Reyes feed.