Contact theSOPAbout theSOPSupport theSOPWritersEditorsManaging Editors
theSOP logo
Published:January 31st, 2007 10:23 EST
Teller County Added to FEMA Snow Emergency Declaration

Teller County Added to FEMA Snow Emergency Declaration

By SOP newswire

Littleton, Colo. -- The U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced that federal snow emergency funds have been made available to help Teller County cover specific costs related to the severe winter storm of Dec. 18-22, 2006.

Snow emergency declarations for Colorado counties in the Dec. 18 – 22 winter snow storm now include Adams, Arapahoe, Boulder, Broomfield, Custer, Denver, Douglas, Elbert, El Paso, Gilpin, Jefferson, Las Animas, Pueblo, Teller and Washington. The counties declared for the December 28–31 storm include Baca, Bent, Crowley , Otero, Prowers and Pueblo.

The Colorado Division of Emergency Management (CDEM) and FEMA continue to work with the National Climatic Data Center and the National Weather Service to obtain certified data from reporting stations throughout the state in an effort to make certain all eligible counties are identified for federal assistance.

Federal assistance is provided on a cost-sharing basis covering 75 percent of eligible costs incurred for snow removal and emergency protective measures taken in response to the storms. State and local governments assume the remaining 25 percent share.

Additional information is available at Handbooks, maps, and worksheets for potential applicants are available on the website.

FEMA manages federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident, initiates mitigation activities and manages the National Flood Insurance Program. FEMA works closely with state and local emergency managers, law enforcement personnel, firefighters and other first responders. FEMA became part of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security on March 1, 2003.