Contact theSOPAbout theSOPSupport theSOPWritersEditorsManaging Editors
theSOP logo
Published:July 30th, 2012 09:58 EST
Water-Borne Amoeba Claims Another Child`s Life

Water-Borne Amoeba Claims Another Child`s Life

By SOP newswire

As we approach the 2nd Year Anniversary of 7 year old Kyle Lewis` death from a water borne amoeba he was infected with while swimming on a summer family camping trip, yet another child has died from the amoeba found in most fresh water ways. Both children died after being infected with Primary Amoebic Meningoencephalitis (PAM) which was caused by a water-born amoeba called Naegleria Fowleri. 

Kyle was infected while swimming while on a summer family camping trip taken just before he started 2nd grade and died just a few days later on August 29, 2010. His family is dedicated to making others aware of this amoeba through the Kyle Cares: Kyle Lewis Amoeba Awareness Foundation that was established with the goal of informing families of the potential danger of this deadly amoeba. Through education and awareness they hope to save lives and heartache for other families. 

Naegleria Fowleri is an amoeba that lives naturally in fresh waterways including lakes, rivers, ponds and hot springs as well as recently found in neti-pots without distilled or previously boiled water. It thrives, multiplies and feeds on bacteria and becomes a life-threatening risk when the water temperature is warm at approximately 80 degrees or higher. This Amoeba usually enters the body through the nose during water activities such as jumping in water, water skiing, wakeboarding or being submerged under water at any of the above mentioned waterways. 

In educating the public on this danger, Kyle Lewis`s parents through Kyle Cares state "The only sure prevention is avoiding water activities in fresh water when the water is warm. Other precautions involve keeping your head above any warm fresh water or using a nose plug or swim mask." 

For more information or to schedule an interview, please visit or call Jeremy Lewis at 817-779-2870.