Contact theSOPAbout theSOPSupport theSOPWritersEditorsManaging Editors
theSOP logo
Published:October 12th, 2013 11:21 EST
caffeine

Man Dies After Overdosing On Hero Instant Energy Mints

By Robert Paul Reyes

"A man died from an enormous caffeine overdose after snacking on high-energy mints - each of which is as powerful as a can of Red Bull.

caffeine

John Jackson, 40, ate Hero Instant Energy Mints, unaware they could kill him. Each mint contains 80mg of caffeine, equivalent to a can of Red Bull, but are sold alongside normal mints."

Independent

Nature has a way of ensuring the integrity of our gene pool by culling the intellectually-challenged and the morally weak in a sometimes devilishly unique manner.

I extend my condolences to John Jackson`s family and friends, but truth be told the world hasn`t lost a paragon of virtue.

Jackson wasn`t exactly a health nut who was cut down in his prime, he was a heavy drinker who had cirrhosis of the liver. I`m not a rocket scientist, a physician, or a paragon of virtue, but I do remember from my high school biology class that the liver processes toxins.

The autopsy revealed traces of other drugs in Jackson`s body, let`s not demonize a product that is perfectly safe if used in moderation.

One hapless man dies from a caffeine overdose after gobbling way too many Hero Instant Energy Mints, and now some do-gooders want to ban them.

On the package it clearly states: One tablet equals one can of energy drink. It`s incumbent on the consumer to read the warning labels on any product he purchases.

However, I do agree that the Hero Instant Energy Mints shouldn`t be sold alongside regular mints. Sell them next to the energy drinks, but don`t ban them.

We don`t need a nanny government or busybodies dictating to us what we should and shouldn`t eat. I have enough sense to eat only one or two High Instant Energy Mints at a time; I wouldn`t swallow a couple of packages at the same time unless I wanted to die with a fresh mint taste on my mouth.

Read More:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/man-died-after-overdosing-on-caffeine-mints-8874964.html

Photo Credit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

robertpaulreyes@gmail.com

Follow Robert Paul Reyes on Twitter: http://twitter.com/robertpaulreyes